SAM EDUCATION SUMMIT – AUGUST 22, 2018
New Speaker Added: Ben Cort
We are proud to announce that Mr. Ben Cort has been added to the lineup of speakers at the 2018 SAM Summit . Ben is an excellent addition to the already star-studded event of the summer. The author of Weed Inc., an expert on addiction treatment, and member of the SAM Board of Directors, Ben will be present to speak on Colorado’s commercialization effects from first-hand experiences while living there.
Don’t forget, registration for the SAM Education Summit in Anaheim, CA on August 22 is now open to everyone! Supply is limited, click here to register now
Featured Speakers :
- Candace Lightner: Founder & CEO of WeSaveLives, Founder of Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)
- James Francois-Hays & Charmaine O. Francois-Hays: Compton Community Organizers
- Roneet Lev, MD FACEP: Chief, Emergency Department, Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego
- Dana Stevens: Grassroots Coordinator, SAM & HighMeansDUI
- Ben Cort, a Colorado-based leader in the field of substance abuse recovery
- Bari K. Platter, MS, RN, PMHCN-BC: Clinical Nurse Specialist, the Center for Dependency, Addiction, and Rehabilitation – University of Colorado Health
- Luke Niforatos, Chief of Staff and Senior Policy Advisor, Smart Approaches to Marijuana
- Kevin Sabet, PhD: Founder and President, Smart Approaches to Marijuana
Topics to be covered :
- Lessons Learned from Marijuana Legalization
- Community Activism – Fighting Back Big Marijuana
- Federal Policy Update
- Adverse Effects on Health Outcomes
- Marijuana-impaired Driving
- Marijuana Legalization’s Harms on Social Justice Efforts
SAM Summit Objectives:
- To identify current evidence-based, specific diagnostic and treatment approaches, counseling skills and modalities, prevention techniques and other mechanisms to prevent, reduce and treat marijuana use, which will be successfully applied to the fields of mental health, behavioral health and addictive disorders.
- To identify key policy discussions in the marijuana use disorder space.
- To understand policy changes on the state and local level and recognize the evidence (or lack thereof) that contributes to practice.
Stay tuned for more updates on our lineup. There will be some pleasant surprises, too!
Act now to take advantage of discounted tickets to the event of the summer. Supplies are limited!
If your organization would like to sponsor the summit, email us
at [email protected]
for more information on how to get involved.
The whole SAM team and I hope to see you there!
Dr. Kevin Sabet
Founder and President
Smart Approaches to Marijuana
Smart Approaches to Marijuana
(SAM) is a nonpartisan, non-profit alliance of physicians, policy makers, prevention workers, treatment and recovery professionals, scientists, and other concerned citizens opposed to marijuana legalization who want health and scientific evidence to guide marijuana policies. SAM has affiliates in more than 30 states. For more information about marijuana use and its effects, visit http://www.learnaboutsam.org.