REMISSION/RECOVERY FROM CANNABIS USE DISORDERS: UPDATE
- Full remission from cannabis-related problems is possible and probable (67-90% rates in short-term and lifetime rates).
- CUD remission rates are similar for men and women, but women experience a more rapid onset and stabilization of remission than men.
- Remission takes time–an average of 32.5 months from CUD onset to one year of remission.
- CUD remission styles vary, with some people with CUDs achieving remission through deceleration of the frequency and intensity of cannabis use rather than through total abstinence.
- Abstinence styles of CUD remission are more likely to produce greater enhancements in global functioning than non-abstinent remission patterns.
- CUD remission can be fragile during its early stages but strengthens over time, suggesting the need for assertive and continuous management, particularly during the first months and years of remission